Fluoride is a mineral that helps you protect your teeth from plaque and bacteria. The enamel, which is a protective layer of your teeth that is made up of minerals, can be easily broken down by the acids that are being secreted by bacteria that plaque cultivates.
Fluoride protects the enamel and at the same time provides an environment where bad bacteria are discouraged.
Fluoride is an immensely useful chemical. They also protect your gums from the acids made by those bacteria, and just generally promote a healthier mouth. However, anything in excess can be a bad thing, and Fluoride is not an exception. Not only might you develop a Fluoride allergy, but you may also get loads of other unwanted effects.
What Are the Effects of Having Too Much Fluoride in Your System?Fluoride can be lethal in large quantities, since it is actually considered as a neurotoxin. For instance, a dose of 143 mg of fluoride, which is a single tube of any kind of toothpaste, can kill a child that weighs around 30 kilograms. For most adults, the lethal dose is around 5 to 10 grams of fluoride.
Fluoride also has a long-term effect for sugar levels, specifically, children exposed to a lot of fluoride at an early age shows that their glucose, or sugar levels, are higher and insulin is lower, which leads to a greater risk of getting diabetes in the long run.
Also, there is a condition we call dental fluorosis, wherein the teeth of children are altered. Also, a large amount of fluoride also weakens the bones and can make the kidneys work overtime which can damage them.
Fluoride, in moderation, can lead to great dental health, while anything in excess can lead to quite a lot of harmful effects. If you think you are experiencing a fluoride overdose, or if you have any questions about your dental health in general, please talk to us and let us help you.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us at (971) 915-0555 today.